Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Augusta Norton 2007

I had an occasion to purchase a couple bottles of the 2007 vintage of the Norton from Augusta Winery in Augusta, Missouri. I was in luck as the rest of the bin at Costco had the 2008 vintage. I love a find and had to grab the two bottles of the older vintage (not to show any disrespect for the 2008). I took one of the bottles to regular meeting of the Wine Girls.

We found the 2007 Norton to have a wonderful deep ruby color and offer a smoky berry flavor (more a berry tones with a touch of smokiness in the background) and a smooth dry finish. We ran the wine through an aerator as we were anxious to enjoy this full-bodied wine.  However, as time passed, we noticed the bouquet getting even better and the wine even smoother. Aerators are great when wine-lovers are in hurry to enjoy the wine, but real-time breathing for a wine is still superior. It wasn't long before the bottle was empty. Glad I have a second one on my wine rack!

No comments:

Post a Comment