Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It'a that Augusta Norton again!

On March 8th I made an entry about the berry rich Augusta 2007 Norton, vowing to open the other bottle in the future.  This week I had reason to uncork the second bottle. It did not disappoint! Those rich berry tones came through and the Norton exhibited a richness that was reminiscent of creaminess.

Interestingly, I asked a wine expert about grabbing the 2007 rather than the 2008. He said I should have gone with the 2008.  Apparently 2008 was a better year for the August Norton.  However, I have to say the 2007 got better with each hour it was open and finished impressively on the third day. 

This just underscores my sentiment that this winery has consistently good wines.  I know I can rely on Augusta Winery to produce quality wines every year, even when conditions are less than optimal. I have a 2008 on my wine rack, as well as an amazing 2006.  Can't wait for a good occasion to open these!

1 comment:

  1. Though we have had Norton wines now from ten different states, we find ourselves comparing all these tastings against Missouri's examples. In almost all cases (and there have been many cases involved) we have found that by letting our Norton wines rest for four or more years has markedly improved almost all of these wines. We are now opening Norton examples purchased eight years ago and patience has born out in many of these wines a "finesse" one would not normally associate with this North American varietal.

    ReplyDelete