Sunday, February 26, 2012

LaBella Vineyards

A recent road trip to Kansas City, Missouri, gave me the occasion to stop by a few western Missouri wineries I had never visited.Once I left the concrete serpent that is Interstate 70 and drove north of Odessa, Missouri, the pace slowed down through winding country roads. Ultimately, I meandered down a gravel lane to LaBella Winery. Bought a couple years ago, the fledging winery is adding a wine or two each year to its offerings. I was greeted by one of the owners, an friendly employee, and Bella, the winery dog.  I tasted the semi-sweet white wine they currently produce.  I found it delightfully crisp, very fruit flavorful, and not overly sweet. This wine, interestingly named Sunday Drive, was sipped at the tasting bar by yours truly on a sunny, pleasant Sunday afternoon. Although LaBella offers a sweet red, I did not take the time to taste it. [I was driving and was pacing myself as I had planned more stops before arriving safely in Kansas City.]

The tasting room is an attractive building situated on a small lake with both indoor and outdoor seating. Although they are just beginning, LaBella Vineyards shows great promise for the future.  Even now, it was worth the 5-mile trek off the highway to experience this winery near Wellington, MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment